Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Friday, December 12, 2014

Teaching Math With You Tube Videos: Holiday Fun



***Updated for 2019!***
This past spring,  I posted some of my favorite songs and videos about shapes, counting, multiplication, coins, time, fractions, teen numbersarea and perimeter and addition facts.  Today I want to share with you some fun holiday and winter themed You Tube Videos that are a great way to review math topics while having some holiday fun and movement.

Clip art by A Little Peace of Africa

During the holiday season, I spend even more time doing brain breaks and getting kids up and moving around.  Not of all of these teach a math concept, many of them are just for fun and a nice break!

5 Little Reindeer

A great little song and video that is good for reviewing counting backwards and basic subtraction.  

 

Christmas Math Song: Adding Doubles

Two different versions of this song!  




Reindeer Subitization

A great way to work on decomposing numbers and subitizing!



Skip Count With Santa UP and DOWN by 5

This one just came out but I am loving it!  There are not enough counting videos that go backward so I really love when I find one.

Looking for more Christmas math fun?  Check out these counting puzzles!!  Available for Kindergarten, first, second, third and as a money saving bundle! You can also grab a FREE SAMPLE SET here!


Just Dance Christmas

No math here, just some fun holiday movement to keep those wiggles out.  The Santa clones has long been a favorite and this year we added the dancing elf and Christmas tree and it might  become just as popular. 



The Gauss Christmas Special


This video is one to save for the kids who REALLY LOVE MATH.  My older students who are really into math ideas LOVE this one.  It is long and math nerd-y so I usually just share it with a few students who are early finishers and can't get enough math.




Math Jingle

A fun, "math is useful and cool" message for older students.  A great way to work on reading fluency while singing a math themed Christmas song.





The Math of the 12 Days of Christmas

A super fun problem to solve along with upper elementary students and just super interesting to think about! 

Snowy Fireplace Music

I love using this video in December.  I project it on my Smart Board while I am working in my room or when my students are working quietly.  It is a great way to add some festive fun into your classroom. 



Your turn!  What is your favorite You Tube song/video to use with students in December?  Leave a comment below or head over to Facebook and share it on my page!

3 comments:

  1. I used the Santa clones this week. My kids got a kick out of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santa clones is hilarious. What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a favorite school wide. Last year we did it at school wide meeting the day before the holiday break and it was a huge hit!

      Delete