Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Monday Math Literature: Base Ten Story Problems with The Bear Snores On


Happy Monday!  If today is your first day of winter break or summer vacation, I hope you are enjoying it!  If you are in school for a few more days, remember that the end is in sight.  I have some fun holiday plans coming up in the next two weeks so expect to see less posts from me for the next 2 weeks.  I will be posting on Sundays for our Children's Mathematics book study and I have some great plans for January including a book study on Number Talks.  

If you have been following along with our Children's Mathematics book study and last week's Monday Math Literature post than you know we have been looking at the importance of using multiplication and division story problems with primary students as a way to develop base-10 place value concepts.  This week, I have chosen one of my favorite winter books by Karma Wilson.






This was the first book written in the Bear series and is such a fun read aloud.  There is lots of action in the story and it is a great way to demonstrate what a fluent reader sounds like.  Kids of all ages love this book and it lends itself well to solving math problems.  I wrote 4 different multiplication and measurement division story problems mostly focused on base-10 concepts that you can use with your students this winter.  These problems are a great way to build and assess place value understanding with your students.  The process of writing such story problems is a good one and I encourage you to grab one of your favorite read alouds and write some of your own problems.  

Here are the 4 problems I wrote to accompany a reading of Bear Snores On.  Click here to grab them from Google Drive! 
What story problems can you write to go along with Bear Snores On?  Please share in the comments below!






No comments:

Post a Comment