Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Teaching Math with You Tube Videos: Counting

Clip art by Whimsy Clips
One of my newest tools this year when teaching math is You Tube videos.  I have always been a big fan of Intelli-tunes, Fun with Math and Music and other math music CD's.  They have some great songs that kids are really engaged with.  Although I still LOVE these CD's and use them often, I have added some You Tube videos to my repertoire this year.

I work in many different classrooms in a given day and now most of them are equipped with a SMART board or at least a computer with a projector.  Even when I work with a small group, I have an iPad that I can pull these videos up on.  Now that they are so accessible and easy for all students to see, they have found a place in my teaching practice.

They also provide a nice movement break for kids.  I often have kids get up and dance/sing along.  My students love making up dance moves or doing jumping jacks while they sing.  It gets them moving around for 3-5 minutes while still practicing math.

I also like to use them as a transition from one thing to another.  If I need 2 minutes to put out materials or get things ready to go for the next part of the lesson, it provides a quick way to keep the kids engaged and learning while I take care of housekeeping tasks.

Here are a few of my favorite counting videos.


Let's Get Fit Count to 100

A great way to practice counting by ones, this video incorporates counting and movement.  The movement changes every 10 number and is a great way to add some activity into your math time or transitions. This one is by Jack Hartmann who offers a huge variety of educational music.



Counting Super Hero 

This is another counting to 100 by 1's video with a fun superhero theme.  My students like to make up their own dances to this one.  This one is is by Pete from Harry Kindergarten Music which has excellent videos and songs to use in your classroom on a variety of topics.


I Can Count to 100

A favorite of my students' for it's catchy tune this is one that will stick in your head!


Counting By 2's Song

A fun monkey themed way to practice an important skill.  For other ideas about working on counting by 2's a to grab a few count by 2 freebies, check out this post.  


Count by 5's




Climbing Up This Mountain (Counting By 10's to 100)

Another great video from Harry Kindergarten!  I love the way this video shows the count by 10 numbers along with a base 10 representation.  

Counting With a Leprechaun 

A favorite in March or any time of the year, this catchy song is a great way to practice counting by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's.


Do you have a favorite You Tube video to help kids with counting?  Please share the link in the comments below!

Count to 120

With the Common Core putting the responsiblty of numbers to 120 on first graders, it is great to have a song that goes up to 120! 


You might also be interested in checking out these great counting books!

Looking for other You Tube videos,  here are my favorite songs and videos about shapes, time,  multiplication, coins and area and perimeter.


8 comments:

  1. So cute and such a great reminder! A couple of these are new to me and I will definitely have to use them more in my room! Such a great idea to use them as a transition when you need two extra minutes to set something up! Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have them, I can't imagine transitioning without them!

      Delete
  2. I like these too and like you said, they are prefect for transitions and brain breaks.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are moving into geometry in K and 1 in the next few weeks and I need to start checking out what they have for geometry based songs.

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of using these videos. I have a few that I've used in the past, but this makes me want to take a better look at what's out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have as few other favorites as wellut am always adding to my collection.

      Delete
  4. Hi EMM,
    I have a collection of you tube maths songs here that I have used from K-2 here http://sqworl.com/sv6tih
    I find them a great way to `warm up' brains and get the children moving!
    Thanks for all the sharing - I really enjoy reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I found a few new to me ones on your list. I forwarded it to a bunch of teachers I work with because they are all appropriate and little to no adds. Great way to organize them!

      Delete