Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, December 9, 2013

Monday Math Literature Volume 22

If you are new to my Monday math literature posts, click here to start at the beginning!  If you missed last week's post about a very unique math literature book you can check it out here.

Measurement Books

This week I want to share with you some of my favorite measurement books.  I feel like measurement is something that is easily forgotten in our math classes because of the importance we put on computation, geometry and algebra.  I do think measurement is something that can be integrated into the curriculum in science and literature as well as math class, so I love using these books to help get ideas about measurement out to my students.



This book has illustrations that kids really love.  It shows both the US Customary System and the Metric system.  It does a nice job of explaining all the different ways of measuring length.  It makes a good read aloud but is equally useful as a book for kids to read to themselves.  I find it most useful in grades 1-4.  



This book is more of a story with some great math concepts woven in.  It is about 2 sisters who need some space from each other so the older one imagines how far away she can be from her sister.  It starts with an inch and goes up to 1,267,200,000 feet (she is thinking of moving to the moon!)  It is also a great book to use when kids are learning about really big numbers as well.  There is also quite a bit of equality hidden among the pages.  If every story had this many math ideas woven into it, kids would be getting a lot more math during literature time!



This story focuses on the history of both the measurement systems.  It is FASCINATING!  It is done in a very kid friendly way with very good illustrations and I have to admit I learned about 10 new things the first time I read this book.  Do you know where your cubit is?  I certainly did not.  This is a great  book first to read yourself and then to pull off your shelf when your students ask 25 questions about the history of measurement that you don't know how to answer.  

I have several more measurement books that I love.  Click here to head to part 2!

1 comment:

  1. I just got a few measurement books from my book order. I'm looking forward to finding a way to use them when I teach measurement.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete