Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Quick Review of Common Core Fraction Second Grade Concepts

Earlier this week, I posted about how I pulled out a small group of kids from a third grade classroom to do a quick mini lesson on odd and even.  I got another chance this week to pull a different small group from the same classroom that is getting ready to do their fraction unit and has a small group of kids struggling with basic fraction concepts.

Here is a quick review we did to remind them of the big ideas around fractions.  The cards I used for this are from my Fourths or Not Fourths game I use with first and second graders.  It is a freebie and available in this post if you want to try it out with your students.


Here is the common core standard for fractions in grade 2.  These were the concepts I wanted to review and reinforce with my students
CCSS.Math.Content.2.G.A.3 Partition circles and rectangles into two, three, or four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc., and describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, four fourths. Recognize that equal shares of identical wholes need not have  the same shape.

There were 4 kids in this booster group and we all sat around a table. I told them I wanted to talk with them about fourths and gave them each a card.  I asked them to think about if their card showed fourths or not and how they knew they were right.


As we went around the table, each kid placed their card in the fourths or the not fourths areas and explained to the group why they thought it went there.  Through this, I got at the big ideas of equal pieces and fourths meaning four pieces.  After each kid had placed their cards, I gave them another one and we continued around the circle in this fashion.


I saved the ones I consider the most challenging for last.  I wanted to make sure the big ideas were out there first before I brought up the idea that the equal sized pieces do not have to be the same shape.

I saved this card for last.  I showed it to the entire group and had them give me a ready signal when they thought they knew where it belonged.  I had them turn and talk with a partner and then we shared with the entire group.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how well kids did with this card! 
A student explains to the group how he knows the pieces are equal
We had a few minutes left so we read one of my favorite fraction books to wrap up our review session.  I hope this will help these kids be successful during their fraction unit!

No comments:

Post a Comment