Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Double Digit Multiplication QR Code Scavenger Hunt

I have been working on 2 digit multiplication with my fourth graders over the last few weeks.  They have been doing a great job writing and solving story problems and developing strategies.  Their strategies have moved from modeling with base 10 pieces to sketching on base 10 paper and then finally using an open area model to solve these types of problems.  Last week, they were introduced to the idea of partial products and spent a lot of time examining how they connect to the open area model.  This week I wanted to give them one more chance to practice all they had learned before having 5 days off.  I designed a QR code scavenger hunt for them to get some extra practice with double digit multiplication.  I also used this same scavenger hunt with my fifth graders who have recently been introduced to the standard algorithm to help them become more fluent.

Here are the Common Core standards for multi-digit multiplication for grades 4 and 5
  • CCSS.Math.Content.4.NBT.B.5 Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.
  • CCSS.Math.Content.5.NBT.B.5 Fluently multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm
To get started you just need a smartphone or tablet or almost any digital device with a camera. (Update: we love using this app on our Chromebooks) Students begin with the START card, scan the QR code and get the first problem.  They then figure out the answer and go find it on another card.  If they can't find their answer on any of the other cards they know they have an error and need to fix something.

A student uses a table to scan a card and solve a double digit multiplication problem
They had a great time working on this and were so engaged and excited.  I love how QR code scavenger hunts make routine practice feel like something fresh and exciting.

Here is a peak at a student record sheet.  This is from grade 4 and they are using partial products for some questions and an open area model for others.  
One student needs more space for their calculations so they made up their own record sheet!

When I make or purchase a new product like a QR code scavenger hunt I like to put it all together in a folder so it is ready to use when I need it!
Here is peak inside the folder.  I have the scavenger hunt cards printed on cardstock, cut apart and put in a baggie.  I also copy the answer key onto cardstock and make multiple copies of the record sheet.  Now when I want to use this, it is always ready to go.    
Want to try this out?  It is available at my TPT store!

Looking for more information on QR code scavenger hunts?  Check out my other posts about using them with my own students.
Fraction Operations
Decimal Operations

If you work with middle school students I also have QR code scavenger hunts for solving 2 step equations and inequalities!  You can check out the entire collection of QR code scavenger hunts here!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great activity! I had to alter a bit. I could not let all 28 students scan the start card. Too many! So I cut off the answer to the last card and glued to start card. This way it didn't matter where the students started or ended. They would complete each card at different times. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete