Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Math Literature Volume 34

If you missed last week's post about a great penguin themed book that explores the idea of a million, you can check it out here!

I love using literature books to bring more geometry and measurement into classrooms.  I have also found some great You Tube videos on teaching shapes.

Today I want to share with you two more books about shapes.

Whale of a Tale



This book is about folding a magic square into different shapes.  It is a great introduction to origami which can be a great way to teach about shapes and fractions.  This book will take you through the steps of folding a whale.  Along the way you will see many other shapes.  I love to use origami as a special treat for classes and a great way to squeeze in some extra math.  This book is a great one to use if you or your students are new to origami.  You just need this and some origami paper and you will be on your way!


I love how entertaining the shapes in this book are.  These book is a wonderfully playful way to look at shapes.  It talks about the things kids think about around shapes.  Which ones roll, or stack or glimmer.  It also identifies attributes and names of many shapes.  I use it in grades K-2.

What are your favorite geometry books?

No comments:

Post a Comment