Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Got Dice? Keep them Contained and Quiet!

I use dice all the time with my students and sometimes they drive me absolutely crazy!  Despite calmly showing students and setting expectations for how we will use dice in the classroom, some kids can't seem to keep them in their hands.  There are also those days (usually Thursday afternoons!) where I have a headache or would just like things to be a little quieter.  I have been thinking for a few years how it would be nice to have something to keep the dice contained and quiet.  This summer when I had a pile of fresh vegetables from my garden, I started buying hummus to dip them in.  That is when inspiration struck.  Hummus containers would make the perfect dice rolling helper.  They are clear, they stack and I had a pile of them sitting in my recycling bin.  So I stacked them together and forgot about them for a few weeks.                                                                                                                 When I finally dug them out again, it only took me a few minutes to turn them into dice rolling machines.  This project is quick and easy and would even be something older students could help make.  It would be useful to anyone who uses dice in the classroom.  
Materials
- Hummus containers
- Scissors

Place the bottom of the hummus container on a piece of craft felt

Trace around with a marker.  Cut just inside the line. 

Use a few dots of glue from a glue gun to attach the felt to the bottom of the hummus container
You are set to go!  When they are not in use, they stack in a nice, small pile.  

Check out some of the ways I use dice in the classroom




3 comments:

  1. Love this idea!! Not only quiet, but the containers keep the dice from rolling all over the desks and onto the floor!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea! I always have one or two kids who manage to fling them across the room. haha!

    ReplyDelete