Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Math Literature Volume 30

Last week I took a deeper look at the Pigs will be Pigs math literature series.  You can check out some of my favorites here!

A few weeks ago I reviewed Cool Math, a book I use to challenge students in grades 3-6 and get kids who love math more involved in solving big, fun problems.  This week I want to show you a book I use to challenge and engage students in grades K-3.



This book does exactly what its subtitle says it will do.  It makes math fun.  I love using this book with primary students who are ready for a challenge.  The book is full of fun math experiments and ways to engage students in thinking about math.  Here are a few of my favorite math experiments

- Walk through it: This shows students how to turn a standard sheet of paper into something they can walk through. 

- Estimating with cereal

- Ratio of height to head circumference

- Measuring reaction times

- The human clock

Regardless of which of the 20 problems you choose, it will help you keep kids engaged in math and move their thinking to the next level.

Head to volume 31 to check out some of my favorite books for teaching skip counting and multiplication!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,
    Thanks for stopping by Literacy Land today. I tried to reply to your comment by email but it wasn't available so decided to drop by your blog and let you know I left a little reply to your comment on our blog.

    Math Detectives looks like a great book! I teach reading and love opportunities for cross-curricular connections. I'm going to have to give this book a look.
    I'm following you on Blog Lovin' now. :)
    ~Wendy
    Read With Me ABC
    Adventures in Literacy Land

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thanks for checking out my blog! I started using some of your steps to vocabulary instruction today when I was teaching some geometry words and it went very well!

      Delete