Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fun and Free Computer Game: Alien Addition


Recently I started using a new game with my students on the SMART board and on the computer.  It is a quick, easy, fun and free way to get some extra practice with addition facts.

Alien Addition 

I have used this game in grades 1-3 to work on fluency and addition.  It is easy to customize and you can make the addends range from 1 to 20.  

Here is what the customization screen looks like.  You can change the range of the addends as well as select how fast the game goes.  I always start kids out on slow and let them work their way up from there.  



Here is what the game looks like when you are playing.  The answer appears at the bottom and your student has to find the alien ship that has a problem with the same answer.  You use the arrows to move the shooter back and forth and the space bar to shoot.  
Here is what the screen looks like at the end of a round.  You can have your students play one round and then show you the screen.  It shows how many hits and misses and which problems they got wrong.  From here you can click onto the next level.  
Here is what it looks like when an older student is playing.  I set the range of the addends to larger numbers.  
What games are your students using to work on fact fluency?  

5 comments:

  1. Where can we find this game? Do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the words alien addition. It will take you there.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of this game! We have used it in the classroom and the kids love it! :) Will be adding this back to my classroom website soon! :)

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I'm adding it to my list. I like Math Tunnel Blaster:http://www.playkidsgames.com/mathGames.htm
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete