Blogs I Love Math Literature Freebies About Home

Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Math Literature Volume 16

New to my Monday Math Literature posts?  Click here to start at the beginning.

Two weeks ago I wrote about some of my favorite candy math books.  This week, I want to tell you about a few more of these.

Again these candy math books seem to go in and out of print so they are not always available in the new market.  I have found over and over again shopping for used ones on Amazon to nearly a sure bet of getting one for under 5 dollars even if it is currently out of print. (Sometimes they are as low as $0.01)


 
I love using this book with second, third and fourth graders.  It is a great way to introduce multiplication in a friendly way and does a good job of showing different ways to represent multiplication including the equal groups and area model.  It is definitely best used at a fact level and I ALWAYS read this book to third graders during our first big intro to multiplication unit.

 

I often use this book with Kindergartners, first graders and second graders.  It has some great ideas about adding 1, adding zero and turn around facts.  I often pick parts and pieces of this book to read to a whole class or small group.  I rarely read the entire thing from start to finish all at once.


I love this book because I find kids often need more help with conceptual ideas around subtraction than they do around addition.  Teachers and programs tend to spend more time on addition and this book does a great job of helping kids conceptualize subtraction.  Also who doesn't love the idea of subtracting chocolate kisses, by eating them of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment